Thursday, January 9, 2014

folding up the skyline

A week ago this evening I was sitting in my quiet living room, cat laying on my chest purring, debating whether I should watch another episode of "How I Met Your Mother" or should I just pack it in and go to bed. Suddenly I receive a message from FB and I decide to go ahead and look at it.

"Would you be interested in raising a puppy?"

Boom. I now have a puppy.

Long story short: a lady that has apparent financial woes and young kids bought a puppy for Christmas then realized how short sighted that was and so posted on some random FB group! that someone should give her $50 and take this puppy right! now!

So, I did. Because I'll take care of that puppy and keep her forever and ever.

Well, until she dies. So sad. I just jumped ahead a number of years to my puppy's inevitable death.

Anyway...

It was time. My life already feels fuller and has more giggles.

I'm also more tired and believe I smell like puppy pee, but that doesn't outweigh the giggles and puppy kisses and over all huge amount of adorable this puppy has added to my life.

However now my cat is sick. And that makes me sad. The puppy didn't make her sick, no. But I'm sure she added stress to the sick and there you go. But I'm working on her because I love her and I'm working with her to ensure she feels safe and comfy still in her home and I'm so proud of her for not giving up her space in our living room simply because of some foolish puppy.

I have realized, however, that even though I care for and, yes, love my cat, it's a totally different variety than it is for the dog. Like, when I heard how sick she was I cried a little and then I made all the appointments because I want her to be healthy and feel well and be happy for sure.

Then the next day I had the puppy outside and a dog barked and then a loud truck went down the alley and the puppy was scared and came running to me. And I looked at her and told her that she was safe and that no matter what happened I would always keep her safe from harm.

I don't feel like I need to keep the cat safe. She just is safe. Yes, I work on her comfort and happiness but safety never really enters my mind. Not like it does with the doggies I've had in my life, including my new one. I just really want to them to know that they are safe with me. It's important to me that they know that. I don't know why.

Perhaps it's just because of the different nature of cats and dogs. Cats are independent. Yes, she likes me and enjoys being with me. I've proven to be trust worthy and she feels comfy with me and that makes me really happy.

Dogs are totally and completely companiony to their humans. They rely on us completely. So I guess my deep down responds to that.

I'm not a psychologist.

But I am totally smitten with my new little girl.

And I'm completely exhausted and worn down because the timing was just not that great. But things happen when they happen and I jumped and now this is my life.

And it's a life that is richer than it was just a week ago. Because I once again have a little doggy to share it with.

I am an unabashed dog person.

No comments:

Post a Comment