Monday, February 17, 2014

giving up on you

I took my doggie girl to her second training class over the weekend. As we were walking and learning the trainer kinda looked at her and then said "And somebody just gave her away on Facebook! What a shame..." but then we went on to say how it really worked out for the best because now I have just a great little girl doggie and it worked out for her because now she has me.

She's very smart. She really is. She is very trainable and it is totally up to me to screw up. Which I suspect I totally will. Because sometimes I'm tired and I just want to eat my dinner so I let her tear up all the paper she wants. And then when she's in the yard and I'm all "Come!" and she's all "Nope, I have a stick and you can't get me!" I will sometimes be "Oh, fine, I'm tired and will just go in the house and eat a brownie in peace, sucka!" and then that is how you get a bad mannered puppy. I know this. I do.

So, there you go. I have a really good girl and I'm gonna fuck her up.

Back when I started thinking it was time for me to get a doggie I just knew I was going to get a Beagle because I love them. But then blamo! I have a tiny little terrier mix of some sort that just completely melts my dumb heart when she sits and looks up at me. She's ridiculously, absurdly cute and has a large personality and I'm smitten and she has me totally wrapped. And she is not a Beagle. And that is more than OK.




My life has become all about her. Which is fine. It was all about sitting on the couch so this is a step in the right direction. And I'm going to take her out to socialize and meet people and be in new situations and sit on patios and eat food and sip on drinks because that is a thing you can do with your dog here. And I may meet new people. But I may not. And either way is fine. Because I'm not just sitting on my couch.

I just don't want to mess it up. Because this is the first dog that has been 100% all my responsibility. And if she matures into a jerky little dog I can't sit and say "well, blah blah wasn't consistent with what I was doing and now she's a jerk." It's all on me.

It's a lot of pressure.

1 comment:

  1. I feel that way about my kids. I'm glad you have Gladys. I really like her.

    ReplyDelete